Exchange 2016 - Error adding mailbox databases copies to new DAG server

Exchange 2016 Database Availability Group


Error adding mailbox databases copies to new DAG server



I have 2 existing Exchange 2016 servers that are part of a DAG with 5 databases. After adding a new Exchange 2016 server to the existing DAG then trying to “Add database copy” I received the below error.



The seeding operation failed. Error: An error occurred while running prerequisite checks. Error: The specified database isn't configured for replication and therefore cannot be used to perform seed operations. [Database: 12345, Server: NewEamilServer.something.COM]

The database list shows the new Exchange server listed under the “SERVER WITH COPIES” column. However, looking at the details on the right-hand pane tells a different story.

Passive Unknown
Copy queue length: 0
Content index state:
Unknown

Clicking on the “View details” link shows us other errors.

Error Message:
“The database file wasn't found after log replay. The copy will be set to failed. Database: 12345\NewEmailServer'. File Path: 'R:\Database\Test\12345.edb'.”















The reason for the error? A permissions issue. The new folder structure that Exchange creates does not have the correct permissions.

Clicking on the folder newly created by the DAG when adding a new database copy on the new Exchange server it stated,  "I did not have the correct permission to access the folder".










Which is odd since I am using the same credentials on both servers that I used to install the Exchange 2016 servers. You would think if it allowed me to start the new DAG copy database it would allow me access to the folders. But no.

After clicking on the “Continue” button I could browse the folder structure unimpeded.

Going back to the original server I refreshed the database list. It showed that the copy was on the new server but in a “Failed” state. I clicked the “Resume” link and got a warning message.















After clicking the “Yes” button it ran for a minute or 2 but then nothing. No completion notice or error. But after some time, I received this error.










Hitting fresh on the database list again it still showed in a “Failed” state.


I then clicked on the next option which was the “Update” link. I was asked which server to start seeding from. I picked the passive database server not the actual server I was on. 


Exchange then started to copy the database from my passive server to the new server with no problems.


And finally, the copy finished.




PS – On my last database copy of four none of these errors occurred. It worked on the first try. Very odd. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Configure Message Delivery Restrictions on a resource mailbox in Exchange 2016